Shawnee State has an outstanding array of modern instrumentation available for hands-on use by students in both classes and research.
Chemistry instrumentation and equipment
- Bruker Fourier 300 MHz NMR spectrometer
- 2 × Hewlett Packard 8453 diode array UV–VIS spectrophotometers
- Perkin–Elmer 2380 atomic absorption / emission spectrophotometer
- Vernier SpectroVis Plus spectrophotometer
- Nicolet 380 FTIR spectrometer, 0.5 cm–1 resolution
- Pike Technologies MIRacle™ single reflection diamond ATR
- Thermo Scientific NanoDrop 2000c
Chromatography / mass-spectrometry
- HP 5890 Series II plus gas chromatograph with HP 5972 quadrupole mass spectrometer
- Gow–Mac 350 gas chromatograph
- Lab-Alliance Series I isocratic high performance liquid chromatograph with UV (254 nm) detector
- CH Instruments CHI 1200A, hand-held potentiostat / bipotentiostat
- ELIT solid state electrode system
- ChemDraw Prime 17.0 ()
- (SSU students and faculty can download a licensed copy)
- HyperChem Pro (site license)
- HyperChem Lite 2.0 (10 licenses)
- Spartan 14 (2 licenses)
- Spartan Student 5 (10 licenses)
- Logger Pro 3 (site license)
- Gaussian 09W (site license)
- GaussView 5 (site license)
- CRC Handbook (SSU access only)
- SciFinder (SSU access only)
- for SSU on-campus use only
- Parr 1341 plain oxygen bomb calorimeter
- 8 × SRS Digimelt melting point apparatus
- Millipore Elix 25 reverse-osmosis water purification system
- 2 × IKA RV 05 rotary evaporators
- 3 × Mettler PE 160 balances
- 3 × Mettler AT200 analytical balances
- 3 × Mettler PL202-S top loading balances
- 1 Mettler MS 204S analytical balance
- Thermolyne FB1315M high temperature furnace oven
- Fisher scientific model 280A vacuum oven
Biology instrumentation and equipment
- 36 × WEL Instrument BA21OLED compound microscopes
- 28 × WEL Instrument SMZ168B-LED stereo microscopes
- Sakura Cryo 2000 Cryostat
- Applied Biosystems SimpliAmp Thermal Cycler
- Corning LSE Shaking Incubator, 49L
Geology instrumentation and equipment
- 5 × WEL Instrument BA310 polarizing microscopes
Physics instrumentation and equipment
- Set of iMacs with Vernier interfaces and sensors
正规体育投注Specific instrumentation shown below:
The Department of Natural Sciences at Shawnee State University operates a Bruker Fourier 300 MHz NMR Spectrometer正规体育投注 for use in its undergraduate teaching labs, as well as for research. The spectrometer was installed in the spring of 2012 and is housed in Massie Hall, room 019.
正规体育投注The Fourier 300 has an ultra shield magnet, and is capable of performing most common 1-D 1H and 13C experiments. It can also perform homonuclear and heteronuclear 2-D experiments, such as COSY, NOESY, HSQC, HMQC, and HMBC. The Fourier spectrometer has a 5mm high-resolution NMR probe equipped with a z-gradient coil.
HP 5890 Series II plus Gas Chromatograph with HP 5972 quadrupole mass spectrometer. The GC-MS is used to perform separations of complicated mixtures, and can identify individual components on the basis of their mass spectrum.
Nicolet 380 Fourier-Transform Infra-Red Spectrophotometer.正规体育投注 This instrument is used to probe molecular vibrations, which can be used to quantify and identify organic and inorganic samples.
A brief procedure (PDF) for operating the FTIR for students in our Organic Chemistry lab is available.
Lab-alliance Series I isocratic High Performance Liquid Chromatograph. This HPLC can separate mixtures of substances, and based upon their retention time and UV absorbance, quantitation and identification is possible.
Sakura Cryo 3 cryostat. The Tissue-Tek Cryo3 is a precision instrument used to freeze and section tissue specimens